Many of the goals that we set for ourselves are positive, magnificent, grandiose, and in our minds eye they are majestic. Even though all of these qualities are extremely encouraging, not knowing how we are going to achieve the end result, coupled with the fact that the goals are (possibly) long term, can seed the process of self doubt – potentially resulting in the pursuit of the goal ending before it even begins.
But we don’t need to know how we’re going to get to the end result!
We DO need to BELIEVE that we’re going to get there in the end a understand that we will pick up valuable lessons along the way. In essence, all that’s really needed is to discover the first step towards our goal and the courage to take the first step. Once we embark on the adventure we just have to ask ourselves the following 6 questions to continue the journey;
- What’s the next step needed? (This plots our course while breaking it down into bite sized chunks)
- How long will (the next step) take? ( Enables us to plan a timeline.)
- Date to start the next step? ( Shows commit)
- How will I feel if I do it? (Starts to incorporate (positive) emotion into the journey)
- How will I feel if I don’t do it? (Throws in the question of passion – how much do I want it)
- How will I reward myself? (Doesn’t have to be after every step but rewarding ourselves along the way – no matter how big or small, can keep us motivated.)