Talk Time: 30 minutes
This talk is to promote reading, our imagination as a gift, and that achieving our dreams is a reality.
This talk includes:
- A card trick to compare a magic trick to the gift of our imagination.
- A brief visual look into the 6000-year history of reading and writing, and how this generation is part of the latest change
- Questions on “why is it good to read?” – builds self-confidence and learning new ideas
- Referring to Albert Einstein – why the gift of our imagination is as important as knowledge.
- How reading something in a book led me to become a travel writer.
- The “highs” and “lows” of pursuing a travel story while spending 4 months in SE Asia.
- Discussing the choices children have in countries where the literacy rate is only 50%.
- Photographs – as a visual aid, from my book and from my photographic travel career.
Diana Stanford- Librarian, Elkanah House, Cape Town
Wow, Gary, everyone is raving about your talk!! Thank you sincerely for the wonderful inspirational talk you gave the pupils. The feedback we got from them was very positive. On behalf of Tracy, our headmistress, staff and pupils who have all asked me to convey their thanks and appreciation for your time and sound effort to get the pupils to read, which was a great success! You successfully got them gripped!!I think you should market books and get paid for it. At break today, the library was filled to capacity!! The staffroom was abuzz after your presentation.
THANK YOU sincerely.